Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Baby Bubble Skirt (Preemie)



A lady in our Church is having triplet girls, so for her baby shower, I decided to make them matching skirts. I could have just made the skirts, but I found a really cute flower tutorial on Pinterest, and just HAD to use them. =) After some trial and error, I found they could be made in 2 hours or less.


You Need:
Sewing Machine 
Thread
 1/2 yard of fabric (this includes the flowers)
Small piece of felt (2")
Elastic (1" wide)
Safety Pin
*Needle (or) glue gun and glue sticks

*I opted to sew my flowers instead of using the glue gun - mostly because I couldn't find my glue gun. 

Cut out Skirt part of fabric. This will be a 26 1/2" x 11" rectangle.


Next, cut the waistband - 13 1/2" x 2 3/4" rectangle.
(Sorry for the lack of pictures here - I deleted some of them by accident)

Now, line the skirt and the waistband up, matching the top corner of the skirt with the waistband. Pin to hold in place. Now you can start making the pleats. 
I measured 2", then folded the fabric back 3/8"


Continue this pattern until you finish pleating the entire skirt. You will need to pleat the bottom of the skirt as well. Pin down pleats as you go. 


Stay-stitch at the edge, over all the pleats to hold in place. 


Remove pins. It should look like this:



Now flip the waistband up.




Take the bottom of the skirt (opposite the waistband), and pull it up to the waistband, right side out, as shown.


Stay-stitch raw edge of skirt.


Fold down waistband, turn raw edges under, and pin over the raw edges of the skirt.


Top-stitch edge, leaving an opening to insert the elastic.


Measure and cut elastic, insert through the opening you left, and sew. Sew opening closed by top-stitching to match the rest of the skirt.



 Make flower. You can find the tutorial HERE. Add safety pin, and pin it to the skirt. Viola! 


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Thanks for stopping by. =)

No comments: